We’re finally enjoying a bit of summer weather, so get out and enjoy it with one of WAYN‘s top 12 festivals home and abroad. Whether you’re a drum and bass kind of dancer or prefer a country retreat, there’s a festival for you.
The City Festival
1. Why go anywhere, when some of the best festivals are on your doorstep. If you’re lucky enough to live in London, then profit from Lovebox, Victoria Park, 19th – 21st July. This 3 day event is all about the music and will feature Plan B, Duke Dumont and Rudimental, to name a few.
2. However even city festivals benefit from a bit of sun, which is why we recommend hopping abroad for this one. On a budget it has to be Sziget, Budapest, 5th – 12th August. Party by night on the city centre island, by day just hop on a ferry and enjoy the local sights or the best hummus bars around.
3. Alternatively splurge by heading to Lollapalooza, Chicago, for an amazing lineup that ticks all the musical boxes. From 2nd – 4th August, you can hear Disclosure, Lana Del Ray, Beach House and Alt-J, and all within a stones throw from the centre of Chicago.
Fields and Fields
4. For anyone Down Under, there’s no need to miss out on all the summer festival madness of the Northern Hemisphere, with Splendour in the Grass from 26th – 28th June. This Winter Festival in Byron Bay, Australia sees 30,000 revelers flocking to the East for an Indie musical extravaganza including everyone from The Klaxons and Jake Bugg to HAIM and Palma Violets.
5. Keep it local with one of Britain’s best known music festivals – Glastonbury, Somerset, 26th – 30th June. Notorious for impressive festival style, muddy boots and the widest range of music around. Expect no less this year with The Rolling Stones, Tame Impala and Cat Power all set to perform.
6. Electric Picnic, Stradbally, Ireland 31st August – 1st September has been long considered a well kept secret. The eclectic festival varies its audience by featuring theatre and comedy acts, fantastic food as well as the all important music. Little Green Cars, Noah & The Whale and Franz Ferdinand can all be spotted there this year
The Sea Breeze Festival
7. The location for EDM festivals in 2013 has to be Croatia , where there are literally too many to count, but The Electric Elephant in Tisno is high up on our wish list. The Adriatic Sea serves as the ideal location for DJs like Mr Scruff and Doc Martin to perform after a relaxing day beneath the sun, 11th – 15th July.
8. One of Europe’s best known summer festivals has to be Benicassim, Spain 18th – 21st July, which combines a mix of R’n’B and Rock by the beach for the perfect summer getaway. Spend a week in the sun listening to Azealia Banks, The Kaiser Chiefs and Bastille, what could be better?
9. Bestival, 5th – 8th September, Isle of Wight offers the best of the British coast for this local festival. Ferries whisk you onto the island where you can enjoy a mix of art and comedy with Annie Mac Presents, Tom Odell and M.I.A. to keep you going.
…Add to your Bucket List Festivals
10. For the Festival veteran, or if you simply want an even more unique festival experience, then head to The Fuji Rock Festival. Held at the Naeba Ski Resort, Japan from 26th – 28th July, this is not one to miss. Notoriously clean, with breathtaking forest walks taking you from stage to stage, the festival attracts about 100,000 revelers.
11. Prepare to step away from reality at The Burning Man Festival, Nevada. Set in the desert, this is one festival unlike any other, where “burners” aren’t permitted to use money and the desert city disappears without a trace faster than you can say “burning effigy”. Running for one week from 26th August and finishing up on Labour Day, 2nd September, the music is just one element of this phenomenon.
12. Although I may be pushing it with Rocking the Daisies from 3rd – 6th October, it would undeniably be the perfect end to the festival season. Wine Tasting and a Traders Market are just some of the features that make this event so unique. Drive, cycle or hitch your way 2 hours outside Cape Town, South Africa for an unmissable weekend.
Whether you’re sticking around or prepared to jet off, now there’s no reason why it can’t be the best summer of your life. Enjoy!
Share on Facebook